How to Keep Your Sink Clean – In our last post, we provided some tips on how to keep your garbage disposal clear and smelling fresh. This time we’re looking at how to keep your sink basin clean and sparkling!
You have probably noticed that after a while, the sides and bottom of your sink start to become dull and blotchy with stains. Here is how to make it sparkling clean to match the rest of your kitchen.
These tips are designed for all sorts of sink materials, including metal, ceramic, and even granite. How to Keep Your Sink Clean:
- Plug the bottom of the sink.
- Fill the sink with really hot water. The hotter the water the better.
- Mix in a couple cups of bleach. Let it sit for a while to let the water cool down (but not longer than half an hour). Your kitchen should have the calming aroma of a bubbling hot tub by this point. This will give the bleach enough time to break down even the most difficult bacteria, break up hard mineral deposits, get rid of odours, and destroy mold and mildew. Bleach is a great cleaning agent; it washes away easily and does not linger, but has some powerful cleaning properties. Use caution when using it though, as it should never be used in full strength on granite or some other materials. It is always best to water it down.
- Remove the sink plug while wearing gloves. Let the water drain out.
- If there are some stubborn spots on the sink, now is the time to scrub them with an appropriate scrubbing tool to the material of your sink. If you have a stainless steel sink, an abrasive pad is fine. You might want something a bit more gentle if it’s granite.
- Important: Rinse the sink well with fresh water. If it’s a metal sink, pat it dry with a cloth. If granite, let it air dry.
- As an optional final touch, give a squeeze of lemon and a drop of olive oil to the bottom of each basin and wipe it around. This will give it that sparkly, shiny feel and also a fresh scent!
How to Keep Your Sink Clean: We hope these prove to be some more useful tips courtesy of your trusted plumber, Toronto! If you have any tips of your own, feel free to share them in the comment section. Plus, you can read our reviews on HomeStars