Tips to Avoid Frozen Pipes – If you are a fan of HBO’s Game of Thrones, you are familiar with the phrase above. Winter is just around the corner, are you ready? Even if you’re still longing for those warm summer days, make sure that your house and pipes are ready for this chilly season.
Here are some maintenance tips to get your plumbing in order for the winter:
- If you have a water hose outside, disconnect it so it won’t’ freeze. A frozen hose will expand and cause faucets and connecting pipes to freeze and break.
- Drain any outdoor pipes so they don’t freeze and restrict the water flow to your house.
- Close crawl space areas, vents and windows specially in the area where your water heater is located. You want to avoid chilly air sneaking in and causing the water heater to work more than it needs to or slowly freezing a pipe.
- Seal any cracks to prevent drafts from coming in around doors and windows.
- Keep the inside temperature at above 13 Celsius to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Have your water heater checked-up. Your water heater will be working at full speed during the winter; make sure it’s in optimal shape.
- Don’t forget to clean leaves and dirt from your gutters and downspouts so that water can drain freely.
- Insulate your outside pipes with insulating tape to prevent against freezing.
If you need help preparing for the winter season, give us a call or book an appointment. Or if when winter finally comes and you do unfortunately have a frozen pipe situation, call us for your plumbing Toronto. We can repair for you – quickly and effectively.
Thanks for reading Tips to Avoid Frozen Pipes, be sure to read more reviews on our Homestars page!