8 Questions To Ask When Hiring a Plumber – Hiring a plumber is one of those household decisions that you really don’t want to get wrong. Making the wrong choice in who you hire can cost you both time and money.
It’s a competitive industry for homeowners hard-earned dollars. For plumbers Toronto is a particularly competitive market for your hard-earned dollars. We understand how narrowing down the field and making the decision on who to hire can feel a bit overwhelming.
To make it easier, we’ve compiled this checklist of key questions to ask and research to do before hiring a company for your next household plumbing job in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Are the plumbers fully licensed and insured? It’s absolutely essential that you confirm your plumber is properly certified to do the job. In Ontario, becoming a licensed plumber is a long process that serves to make sure the person is fully equipped to handle the job. Don’t trust your job to someone who hasn’t gone through the licensing process.
- Are the plumbers full-time employees? One of the things that most people don’t realize about the industry is that many plumbers use freelance plumbers. That could mean that the plumbers are less accountable to make sure the job is done right, the first time.
- Are the plumbers paid by the hour? People in the plumbing profession are, by-and-large, good people. But human nature is for people to maximize their earnings, which might result in a plumber spending more time than they need to on a job.
- Do the plumbers make commission? Companies that use freelance plumbers generally pay them on a commission basis, which means the plumbers have incentive to upsell their customers into additional services.
- Will they provide an exact cost of the project in writing? Some companies offer their plumbers incentives to upsell their customers into additional services.
- Ask about extra charges. Some companies will tack on extra charges like charges for vehicle fuel, or overtime. Be aware of these up-front so you’re not left with any surprises when the work is done.
- Check online reviews and ask for references. The Internet has made it much easier to determine the quality of a company’s past work throughout all of the trades. Sites like HomeStars are a great resource for homeowners to determine the reputation of companies and see examples of their past work.
Trust DrainWorks with your next Toronto plumbing job, because since we founded the company in 1995, we’ve built our business on a commitment to doing things the right way. Here’s how we check the boxes on the above list.
- Licensed and Insured? YES. All of our plumbers are fully licensed and insured, so you can rest easy and trust their expertise.
- Full time employees? YES. Our plumbers are accountable for their own work, and the name of the company that we’ve worked so hard to build.
- Paid by the hour? NO. All of our staff are paid salary, so there’s no motivation for them to stick around any longer than necessary. They get the job done right, and let you get on with your day.
- Do our plumbers make commission? NO. Our staff never makes commission, so there’s no personal motivation to sell you anything that you don’t need.
- Exact cost in writing? YES. We take great pride in our Exact-to-the-Penny Pricing. There are never any surprises, or vague verbal quotes. It’s part of our pledge to keep our customers fully informed of the working process, every step of the way.
- Extra charges? NEVER. We never, ever charge for vehicle fuel, or overtime. Any day, at any time, you’ll always pay our regular rate, and be fully informed of the exact cost of the project upfront.
- Good reputation and references? YES. DrainWorks is proud of our excellent reputation: we have been named Best Plumber in the City twice by Toronto Life Magazine, have received a Toronto Consumer’s Choice Award for 13 years running, and maintain an A+ rating as a BBB accredited business. There are about 1300 reviews of DrainWorks on HomeStars.com, the most of any company on the site, with an average customer rating of 9.5 out of 10. We’re also happy to provide any references to our customers – whatever the job calls for, we’ve done it, and have satisfied customers that will vouch for our quality and service.
Thanks for reading, 8 Questions To Ask When Hiring a Plumber
The DrainWorks Team