How to Fix Your Holiday Plumbing Problems – With the holiday season approaching, many people will be hosting large gatherings at their home. That can be a pleasure, but it can also be a pain on your plumbing system.
You never know when an emergency plumbing situation will strike, but there’s probably no worse time for it to happen than over the holidays. With a little knowledge and foresight, however, you can do your best to avoid plumbing problems over the holidays – and fix them if they do happen.
Here’s a look at some of the most common problems, and steps you can take to correct them.
Problem: With increased people in the house, one toilet is getting too much use – causing a greater risk of backing up.
Solution: Ask your guests to spread their use out among the multiple toilets, if possible. That will reduce the load on any one given toilet, minimizing the chances of a problem.
Problem: The toilet is clogging up due to something that shouldn’t have been flushed.
Solution: Gently remind your guests that really, only toilet paper should be going down the drain. Even products like baby wipes labeled as ‘flushable’ can wreak havoc in your drain pipes.
Problem: The kitchen drain is clogging up due to overuse, or more likely, fats and greases being poured down them.
Solution: Remind anyone helping out in the kitchen to dispose of food waste properly. If your drain is clogged, follow these tips for how to unclog a sink.
Problem: You have guests staying over and they’re having trouble getting hot water in their showers.
Solution: Ask your visitors to limit the time of their showers to ensure that there is enough hot water for everybody and to reduce the load on your plumbing system. You can also try and establish a schedule with more time between showers to allow the hot water supplies to replenish.
5 More Tips to Reduce the Chance of Major Holiday Plumbing Issues:
- Ensure that there is a plunger located by each toilet in case of sudden emergency;
- Remember that a flange plunger or accordion plunger (pictured to the right) is much better than a standard cup plunger for clearing toilet clogs, and stock your washrooms accordingly.
- Before the gatherings start, familiarize yourself with the signs of a looming sewer drain backup so that you’ll know what to look for.
- Take care not to leave things on low shelves or on the back of the toilet that could be easily knocked in to the toilet by someone unfamiliar with the bathroom set up.
- Just in case of a really bad scenario, review the procedures for essential emergency plumbing steps, like knowing where the shut-off valve is located, and how to stop an overflowing toilet.
If you can’t fix it yourself, here are 5 Reasons to Use DrainWorks for Holiday Plumbers Toronto:
- When you need us most, we’ll be there on time. One of the things our customers appreciate most about our customer service is our commitment to showing up on time. That shouldn’t be a novel concept, but we stand alone amongst Toronto plumbers in our commitment to this principle.
- Once we’re there, we won’t be running out to grab a part. Our plumbers and technicians drive trucks with all the necessary parts we need for every day plumbing jobs, so unlike some other companies, once we’re on site, we’re not leaving until the issue is fixed.
- We’ve dealt with it in the past. Our plumbers and drain technicians are fully-licensed, salaried employees, with years of experience under their belts. Trust us – whatever your problem, we’re likely to have seen it before!
Trust the experts at DrainWorks for all your Toronto plumbing services in 2014 and 2015. Click the red tab to the right to book an appointment online, or we’re just a friendly phone call away, at 416 486 0000.
We wish you a very happy holiday season!
Thanks for reading, How to Fix Your Holiday Plumbing Problems
The DrainWorks Team
Read our HomeStars reviews here